Canadian Standards Associationís Model Code for the Protection of
The codeís 10 principles are:
1. Accountability: An organization is responsible for
personal information under its control and shall designate an individual or
individuals who are accountable for the organization's compliance with the
2. Identifying Purposes: The purposes for which personal
information is collected shall be identified by the organization at or
before the time the information is collected.
3. Consent: The knowledge and consent of the individual
are required for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information,
except when inappropriate.
4. Limiting Collection: The collection of personal
information shall be limited to that which is necessary for the purposes
identified by the organization. Information shall be collected by fair and
5. Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention: Personal
information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for
which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as
required by the law. Personal information shall be retained only as long as
necessary for fulfillment of those purposes.
6. Accuracy: Personal information shall be as accurate,
complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to
7. Safeguards: Personal information shall be protected
by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
8. Openness: An organization shall make readily
available to individuals specific information about its policies and
practices relating to the management of personal information.
9. Individual Access: Upon request, an individual shall
be informed of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her personal
information and shall be given access to that information. An individual
shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information
and have it amended as appropriate.
10. Challenging Compliance: An individual shall be able
to address a challenge concerning compliance with the above principles to
the designated individual or individuals for the organization's compliance.